Thursday, April 4, 2013

why i hate everyone

I have two jobs. Yesterday at one of them after a customer came in, a colleague began talking about her. She said she "was crazy and had an outburst here ranting and raving about chem trails." Then she proceeded to say she didn't deserve to receive social security benefits even though "she's had a lot of jobs but can't keep them." From my co-worker's description of her behavior I surmise she has a mental illness. The day before at my other job a co-worker described a frequent customer as "a schizo" and described all his strange habits.This basic lack of understanding of mental illness and sympathy for a fellow human being astounds me! This is why I hate everyone.

I'm certain these people would be surprised to learn that I have a schizo in the family. I stopped telling people years ago that my sister has schizophrenia. This is not because I am ashamed or embarrassed of her, quite the contrary. I assume that all of you are ignorant, "don't believe in mental illness" and will say something callous like "she must have made lot of bad choices" that will make me want to punch you in the face. I won't resort to violence, of course, I will just consider you to be a stupid asshole from now on. I don't want the small-minded to judge, penalize, or treat my sister differently because she has schizophrenia.

If I spoke up and said, "hey, it's not right to talk like that. Schizophrenia, bipolar and depression are medical illnesses. These people have done nothing to cause their illnesses. They were dealt a bad hand by the big guy upstairs. They deserve to be treated with compassion and grace, not gossipped about. They have suffered more in their lives than you could ever imagine" what would you think of me?

No comments:

Post a Comment